Saturday, May 1, 2010

Shabbat

Hello again from the Holy Land! I am doing well and loving life so far. This experience is definitely one that I will never forget and will change my life forever.

Today is Saturday, May 1, and we had our church services today. Here in the Holy Land they hold Sabbath on Saturday because that is the traditional day on which the Jewish Sabbath is held. It is totally throwing me off because I keep thinking that it’s Saturday and that tomorrow we have a field trip and such. Anyways, it’s definitely different but I am adjusting well.

We also had Fast Sabbath (not Fast Sunday because it’s not Sunday) today. The auditorium that we use to hold sacrament meeting has huge windows that look straight out onto the city of Old Jerusalem. Today was a bright, clear, and perfectly beautiful day.

As I partook of the sacrament I was able to look out onto the place where Christ instituted the ordinance of the sacrament and performed the atonement. That was completely incomprehensible to say to least. I am here! I am where Christ walked, taught, healed, atoned, bled, died, was resurrected, and returned to His Heavenly Father! Like I said, this is still surreal to me. I am so lucky to be here and have these experiences.

I was also touched today by my fellow students bearing their testimonies. I am definitely here with an elite group of people who I do not measure up to. They are all so humble, full of the spirit, and true disciples of Christ. As I heard them bear witness of Christ and His atonement, I felt so inadequate to them. They all had such solid testimonies, and they were all so eloquent with what they had to say. I felt the Spirit as each person who bore their witness of Christ. It was so special to feel the Spirit so strongly on the first Sabbath in the Holy Land. I definitely know that I need to step it up while I am here so that I can gain a stronger testimony of Christ and His role in my life.

Even though I feel inadequate and not up to par compared to some of my fellow students, I want you all to know that I do know that Christ is my Savior and Friend. I know that He suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane for me, He sweat drops of blood for me, He was crucified and died for me, and He was resurrected for me. I know that He loves me and knows me perfectly, much better than I know myself. I am so grateful that I have this gospel in my life to bless me and bring me true happiness, because I know that this is the only real way to be happy. I love my Savior, and I hope to live my life to make Him proud and be able to return to His presence one day.

This is a song that I found that has meant a lot to me and the relationship I have with my Savior.

“I Am” Nichole Nordeman

“Pencil marks on a wall, I wasn't always this tall
You scattered some monsters from beneath my bed
You watched my team win
You watched my team lose
Watched when my bicycle went down again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said, Elbow Healer, Superhero
Come if You can
You said, I Am

“Only sixteen, life is so mean
What kind of curfew is at 10pm?
You saw my mistakes
And watched my heart break
Heard when I swore I'd never love again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said Heartache Healer, Secret Keeper
Be my best friend
And you said, I Am

“You saw me wear white by pale candlelight
I said forever to what lies ahead
Two kids and a dream, with kids that can scream
Too much it might seem when it is 2am
And when I am weak, unable to speak
Still I will call You by name
Shepherd, Savior, Pasture Maker
Hold onto my hand
You say, I Am

“The winds of change and circumstance blow in and all around us
So we find a foothold that's familiar
And bless the moments that we feel You nearer

“When life had begun, I was woven and spun
You let the angels dance around the throne
And who can say when, but they'll dance again
When I am free and finally headed home
I will be weak, unable to speak
Still I will call You by name
Creator, Maker, Life Sustainer
Comforter, Healer, my Redeemer
Lord and King, Beginning and the End

“I Am
Yes, I Am”

I am sorry that this post is so long! But I just wanted you all to know of my testimony of the Savior. I am so grateful for the chance I have to study in this place and learn more about my Savior. I hope you are all doing well, and feel free to comment on this and update me on how you all are doing! Much love!

2 comments:

  1. umm I cried during this post. What an experience! I can't imagine how amazing that experience would be! So instead I'll live vicariously through yours! Love you! Thank you for your sweet testimony. Don't be silly Chelsea you've always been elite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shalom.......So good to hear you are adjusting well. It's funny to hear you say some of the same things Hailey said 9 months ago. Definately an opportunity that will change your life. I'm so happy for you. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete