Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Honor Code

I am a VERY DEDICATED BYU basketball fan (although I've never been to a live game, I watch every game on television). And as such, my blog deserves a post about this amazing sport and the great men who play on this team.

With the disheartening news about Brandon Davies' season-ending suspension due to an honor code violation, I have been forced to think about the honor code and what good it really does us. Was suspending Brandon worth a possible national basketball title just to keep a few far too stringent rules? (This is what others are saying, not me.)

I'm glad to know that not only me, a BYU student who loves the honor code, agrees with me in saying that BYU did what was right for Brandon, for the team, and for the school. Follow these links to see what others are saying:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700114799/BYU-backs-up-principle-in-suspending-Davies.html

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6174077


All I know is that I am grateful for the honor code and all the 'rules' placed on me by the church. I know that although they may seem unrealistic and stifling at times, in the end they protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment