Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It Never Hurts To Ask

This is just a great story that I had to share with everyone. And it completely describes my life and how many little breaks I get.

Okay, so last Saturday I was taking a final over the internet for my Political Science class. This class has really pushed me to the limit, requiring me to write 8 page essays (which I thought was entirely impossible before I actually did them)! But I love, love, LOVE this class because it pushed me and made me think outside of my BYU bubble. I've tried really hard all semester to do well, and it has paid off. Anyways, so I was taking the multiple choice part of my final for this class. I was really nervous to do it at first, but once I got going it was a piece of cake! It was only 20 questions, and I finished within like 5 minutes. I got my results back, and I only got 12/20!!! What the...?! So I went through my fill-in-the-blanks, and I realized that two of the 2 I missed were actually correct but I just misspelled them and that would be fixed by my teacher. But the other 6... I had missed! Marx theorizes about 3 types of alienation and 3 causes of alienation. Well, being dumb, stupid, stressed out me, I switched the types with the causes and the causes with the types! I was so distressed and angry at myself for not paying more attention to those small details!!! Well this teacher is like super-duper lenient. We have "deadlines", but they don't have to be followed and are always extended. And I already wrote him an e-mail telling him how much I loved his class and how it has changed my life in many ways. So I thought to myself, "My mom always tells me that it never hurts to ask. We'll see if this works out for me." Yes, I e-mailed my teacher, begging him to give me those points because "I really knew what I was talking about! Promise!!!" I waited a couple of hours, checked my e-mail, and lo and behold, he had written me back, on a Saturday. And he had given me full credit for my wrong answers! His exact reply was, "I'll give you credit for them - obviously you know them and that's all I care about." BEST DAY EVER! So instead of getting 14/20, I got a 20/20. Yes, I totally weaseled my way into getting an A on that part of the final.

As I told this story to my family later that night over dinner, my brother and sister were astounded and surprised that I had been given those points. And I told them that I never hurts to ask. My professor totally could have said no, and I would have dealt with the consequences. But luckily he was merciful and willing to work with me. It never hurts to ask.

This little story just illustrates how many times and ways that I get my way in so many things. Some of the time I work my magic and do things on my own part, but most of the time Heavenly Father truly blesses me with so many tender mercies for which I can take no recognition. To name just a few: my success in school, never getting pulled over (yet), my jobs that have always come because of someone else I knew, and oh so many more. I am truly blessed, and I am so grateful to a Heavenly Father who loves me so much to bless me with so many small and seemingly insignificant things that add up to huge blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Hey now, don't call me bitter. Ever. Just because you can get away with ANYTHING without repercussion does not make me bitter-it makes me normal.

    And I'm glad you despise my tone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot get away with anything... Just most things.

    ReplyDelete